Your Junior Year Calendar...
- Collect dates and locations for college fairs in your community.
- Review your college savings plan and be sure you are on track.If you don’t currently have a plan, start saving now.
- Take the PSAT.
- Attend a college fair and talk with college reps who visit your school.
- Do an online college search.
- Meet with your high school counselor about ways to better prepare for college.
- Request and review brochures and catalogs from colleges that interest you.
- Create a list of 10 to 15 colleges that fit your requirements.
- Track important deadlines for each college on your list.
- Begin planning for the SAT and/or ACT exams. Know the registration process and test dates.
- Attend area financial aid meetings or meet with your school counselor about financial aid.
- Start a file of scholarship/financial aid data, (i.e.: criteria, amounts, contacts, deadlines, etc).
- Purchase an SAT and/or ACT study guide and familiarize yourself with the exam format.
- Schedule visits to 3-5 colleges on your list.
- Organize scholarship and grant data. Maintain a calendar to avoid missing deadlines.
- Review the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- When scheduling senior classes, include credits to meet college entrance requirements.
- Registration is due for the April ACT.
- Arrange more campus tours. During college visits, be sure to ask about financial aid options.
- If taking AP courses, talk to your counselor about CLEP exams.
- Make a list of teachers, employers or coaches that may write you letters of recommendation.
- Register for the SAT, if taking the exam in April or May.
- After visiting all of the colleges on your list, compare and rank them in terms of preference.
- Register for the SAT, if taking the exam in June.
- Take AP exams.
- Consider taking a summer course at a local college.
- Work a summer job related to your career interest or participate in some community service.
- Register for the ACT, if taking the exam in June.
- Begin working on college applications and essays.
- Enjoy the rest of summer and get ready for your senior year!
Take the next step to your future...