The average annual cost of a private college education for tuition and fees is $27,000.
Once you’ve identified your preferences and created a short list of potential colleges, contact the admissions office of each school and plan to visit these colleges before making your final decision. An in-person campus visit gives you a good idea of what life would be like at that particular school.
Tips for planning a campus visit:
- Schedule an appointment with admissions, a faculty member (if interested in a particular major), or any other individuals based on your interests; like an athletics coach or internship coordinator.
- The best time of year to visit a college is in the spring of your junior year and the fall of your senior year.
- Take advantage of campus tours. This is a great chance for you to ask all of your questions and get thorough information about the college.
- To get the most realistic impression of the college, arrange your visit during a “regular day” at the campus. Avoid visits during finals week, spring break or summer vacation. Tour the campus when classes are in session.
- Don’t let a rainy day ruin your impression of the school or the students. Keep in mind that bad weather can make everything seem gloomy.
- Discover the classroom experience. Look in the course catalog to find a class that interests you and attend it. Is this an environment that you could learn in? Is it too big or small?
- Take the time to explore the city surrounding the campus. Do you care for a big city or a small, college-town setting? Does the area feel safe?
- Collect and save all brochures, pamphlets, etc that you receive on your tour and update your “College Comparison Worksheet ” with your personal impressions of your campus visit.